Can city cops stop me out of their city limits???

 This is a good question I hear occasionally.  It actually is related somewhat to last week’s topic.  The answer is yes, depending on a couple of things.  First of all if any city or town police officer sees a violation within the city limits/jurisdiction they may make the stop wherever within this state and even in another state if their policy permits. We see this a lot in so many towns that sit right on and in many cases on both sides of a state line.  Once again “fresh pursuit” comes into play.

Go To Top

  If all violators had to do was make a mad dash across a city limits, county or state line this would become a serious problem quickly.  In towns where police officers actively enforce traffic laws this is critical because many stops end up outside the city limits.

 On a side note it never ceases to amaze me how so many people who have never worn a badge a day in their life and never had one hour of law enforcement training seem to be experts in criminal and traffic law.  Even a “little ole’ city cop” in a very small town has hundreds of hours of training and at least a high school diploma or GED.  Not to mention often years of experience.  I have known many small-town officers, sheriffs and sheriff’s deputies in my 20-year-career I would take as a back-up as quickly as ANY trooper I know.  Most of the time it comes down to what kind of “person” an officer/deputy/trooper etc. is.  The same is true in any occupation.  There are “slugs” in every field and standouts as well.  It is always up to the person how hard and how well they work…………….. 


 Truly, this Troopers’ Perspective

Go To Top



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s